Sunday 13 November 2011

Seremban Baked Crabs

Would a makan trip to Seremban be complete without trying their famous Baked Crabs? I guess not. Since this is a local specialty, for sure there are a couple of restaurants that prepares this dish to cater to the demand. But through the recommendation of the locals we chose to eat at Kedai Makanan Seremban seafood restaurant. It is also the most famous one in town after being featured in countless media.
grilled-crab
Although the dish is called 芙蓉烧蟹 (‘Fu Yong Siu Hai’) in Cantonese and translates to Grilled/BBQ Crab, the crabs are not barbecued at all. In fact they are deep fried and then coated with some special sticky sweet sauce. So if you are coming here expecting the the crabs to be grilled/baked/BBQ-ed then you will be surprised, heh. Actually I feel weird that I am calling it ‘Baked Crabs’ when it is supposed to be ‘Fried Crabs’ lol. But I am sticking to it anyway in respect to its Chinese name.
crab-meaty-claw
I believe there are people out there who do not like to have their crabs deep fried because the flesh tends to be dry and stick to the shells. Well, I am one of them. Luckily the chef is experienced and the crabs were fresh, plus he did not overcook them. So the amount of meat that got stuck at the shells is minimal and mostly at the legs. As you can see, the chunk of meat at the crab’s claw is still perfect and juicy. FYI it costs RM70 for two crabs (1 large and 1 medium) weighing a total of 1.4kg.

seremban-grilled-crab
As for the taste, they crabs were just OK and it certainly did not meet my high expectations – I just feel that I satisfied my curiosity towards this dish that I have been longing to try. Personally I think the sticky sauce tastes too sweet yet somehow it does not do much to add any flavor to the crabs, which bears the question: What’s the point?
dipping-sauce
A bowl of dipping sauce comes with the crabs which seems (vaguely) like a mixture of butter, mayonaise, lime, garlic and chopped cili padi. Tried a bit of it, didn’t like it at all hence it remained untouched for the rest of the meal.
kung-pao-mantis-shrimps
The Kung Pao Mantis Shrimp here is surprisingly cheap and tasty, only RM10 for a healthy portion like this! Moreover, the mantis shrimps are the meaty and a lot more expensive type, which makes it a steal for the price. I would have ordered multiple plates of it if only I knew the price earlier.
kam-heong-clams
Kam Heong La La is also RM10 only for a plate like this, very affordable.
seafood
Our damage in total: RM92.20 inclusive of drinks.
kedai-makanan-seremban
Overall this restaurant serves decent seafood at reasonable prices despite being famous and all. Although the ‘Siu Hai’ failed to impress, I would probably still return for the crabs cooked in different style and the mantis shrimps (it costs a bomb in KL!) if I ever plan another trip to Seremban again.
Kedai Makanan Seremban
No 3720-3724, Jalan Tuanku Munawir,
70000 Seremban, N.S.
Tel : 06-7641 260
GPS Coordinates: N2 43.977 E101 56.058

No comments:

Post a Comment